Lüscher’s eight-color test
Table of Contents
With the help of the eight-color technique, one can assess the emotional state of a person, some unchanging characteristic features inherent in his personality, and the peculiarities of psychological health at a particular moment in the study. With the help of the test you can understand how much a person can cope with stressful situations, the level of his activity, ability and desire to communicate with the society. Also, with the help of the technique, it is possible to identify the etiological factors of stress, due to which psychological problems appear.
Did you know
Theoretical basis of the test
The eight-color technique, which Lüscher is famous for, is completely based on practical experiments and has only small theoretical grounds that appeared in the work of a psychologist not immediately. Despite the fact that the basis for the creation of the test is the symbolism of colors, based on the phenomena of society, which is a very doubtful confirmation of the reliability of the research, the Lüscher’s test repeatedly asserted his right to exist. Unlike many other techniques, this test can be used in different countries. It does not depend on either religious beliefs or nationality. Method is suitable for men and women, even for children. Lüscher test does not provoke unconscious defensive reactions of the psyche. And the results obtained during the research confirmed that the method can be considered reliable.
Did you know
You need 8 plates with different colors to pass the test. Each of them is assigned a certain number:
Numbers correspond to the order of colors. The first four are considered basic, the rest are additional.
All cards are laid out before the examinee, after which he must choose the most attractive color. Not the one that he likes in clothes or on wallpaper, but the one that seems most enjoyable at the moment. After making a choice, the card is postponed. The next choice of the most pleasant color a person should make out of the remaining 7 cards. Thus, the subject chooses the most attractive colors by descending. For a more reliable result, the procedure is repeated once more, and the person should not choose colors, based on the previous test.
After the test, the results are processed and interpreted. If you pass the test on our online resource, you will get the finished result without additional time costs.
The results are divided into 4 groups of a pair of colors:
- First (includes the first two selected colors) – explicit preference;
- The second (3 and 4 colors) – preference;
- The third (5 and 6 colors) – indifference;
- The fourth (7 and 8 colors) – antipathy.
Explanation of results
“Everything has its own color. Everyone has feelings too.
Based on many studies, Lüscher came to the following conclusion:
- Explicit preference – the colors of this group indicate a means of achieving something and also the very goal to which a person is striving;
- Preference – this group shows what is the actual state of things at the moment in a person’s life (he is calm or anxious, etc.));
- Indifference – colors that symbolize some peculiarities of the state of affairs to which a person does not experience negativity (they simply are);
- Antipathy – here appear hidden or consciously suppressed by man’s desires and needs.
The Lüscher test has a huge amount of color combination, each of which has its own unique meaning. Exact interpretation of the results of this technique can only give an experienced psychologist.
The values of colors appearing in the interpretation of the results, according to Lüscher:
- Blue – represents comfort and satisfaction;
- Orange-red symbolizes strong will, even aggression, excitement;
- Yellow – personifies activity, good mood and desire to communicate.
- Blue-green – is a symbol of confidence, sometimes excessive and perseverance.
These 4 colors are basic. The remaining 4 are considered additional and represent: anxiety or fear, stress, frustration and other negative phenomena.
Interpreting the results of the Lüscher test will largely depend not only on which group the color falls into, but also on their relative location. In the absence of any negative trends, the main 4 colors should be in the first five positions. If these colors are located further than the 5th position, then it can be concluded that the features they characterized are not satisfied. If one of the primary colors falls into the last group, then this need is considered as the cause of the stress state.
Start to develop your brain right now